Most of the world is being told to self isolate, social distance and essentially just quarantine yourself in your home. This is for our safety and the safety of others, and instead of focusing on the list of what you can’t do during the pandemic, here are things you’ll love doing while in self-quarantine.
Schools are closed, many workplaces are closed and many are settling into what’s become a new normal of social distancing. Since we cannot have to face to face contact, people all around the world have developed new ways to stay connected and still have fun, even while adhering to public health guidelines and ensuring everyone’s safety.
Here are 10 activities to entertain yourself and your family during our time of social distancing.
1. First and foremost- take care of yourself. Treat yourself to some you time. Have a hot bath, do an at home spa night, have a nap, relax and unwind. Given if you have children, this can be difficult. But make time for you during this period of pause. It is a trying time for all and we need to take care of ourselves.
2. Read that book you have been putting off. It can be difficult to find the time in our busy lives to sit down and invest our time into a book, but now is a great time to do so. While stuck at home, reading a book can be a great way to escape and even live vicariously through the characters.
3. Make sure you are still exercising. Social distancing doesn’t mean you need to stop exercising. You can still go for walks (alone or in a group of no more than 2- this van vary on the size of your family as well), you can do at home yoga and many other at home exercises. Make exercise fun if you have kids. Do something silly like a dance party in your living room. Make it fun!
4. Stay in touch. Even though we cannot visit family and friends, we can still connect. In today’s technology- connecting virtually with others is easier than ever. Face time, video chats, social apps etc. Just because we are social distancing, doesn’t mean we can’t still connect. Check out some of the great apps out there to have fun while virtually connecting with loved ones.
5. Play games. Board games are a great way to stay entertained, especially for this with kids. No kids? No problem! How about a puzzle? Puzzles are great for any individual. There are also some great games you can find in your phone’s app store to keep you entrained, single player or multi player.
6. Learn something new. Always wanted to learn something new but haven’t found the time? What better time than now?! Online courses are everywhere, some are even free! Find a topic that interests you and see what you learn through an online course or a how to guide.
7. Home reno/redecorate. Now this one can be touchy. If you have the supplies already at home, then it would be a great time to fix up your house, paint the walls or just fix that cupboard that has been loose for months. Going to a home reno store is not a great idea right now, but if you have the supplies on hand, why not take some time to fix up the place a bit?
8. Binge watch. There is nothing that says we have to be productive during this time. If you want to just get caught up on your favorite shows, by all means! Netflix, Amazon Prime etc, are all great platforms for watching your fav shows, or starting a new one.
9. Bake. This can be done alone or with your family. Find some fun new recipes and bake up a storm!
Baking not your thing? No problem, how about just finding a new meal to make yourself? Google some new things and take a test drive, maybe you will find a new food that you love!
10. Start a journal or blog. Could be of specific interest from chess to cheese, or even just your daily thoughts.
Stay safe and do things that make you happy
It’s normal to feel anxious about what’s going on in the world – but you’re doing your part by respecting social distancing. It’s challenging, but these activities and other things that make you happy- will keep you and your loved ones entertained and engaged during these unprecedented times.