Winter can be beautiful, but it can also be extremely cold. Winters can vary depending on where you live. The more north you are, the colder and snowier your winters likely are.
You don’t want to be cooped up all winter. You want to be able to go outdoors, build a snowman, enjoy a snowy walk, make snow angels with the kids all without freezing yourselves out.
- Layers layers layers! Dress in layers and wear a hat, gloves and scarf when going outdoors. Bundling is ideal especially if you will be outdoors for a prolonged period of time. Ensure you are covered to avoid your skin being exposed for long to the cold air
- Block any drafts in the house. Fun hack: Pool noodles are great to keep door drafts out! Cut the pool noodle in half lengthwise, wrap it in fabric, and slide it under your door
- Don’t use alcohol to keep warm. You may think a nice glass of your fav alcohol will warm you up BUT although it makes you feel warm because blood vessels in the skin expand-it is actually drawing heat away from your vital organs.
- Turn on the ceiling fan if and when you can. Warm air rises to the ceiling so running your fan on its lowest setting in a clockwise direction will push the warm air back down to where you can feel it.
- Drink more water. This tip is great for almost everything.
The more you have in your system the easier it is to keep warm. With this in mind, make sure you stay hydrated in the winter, as well as the summer, particularly if you have to go out into the cold everyday.
- Have warming food and drinks. Stews, soups, any recipe you can think of to make in your crockpot, the sky is the limit!
- Keep as active as possible to boost your circulation. Move around at least once an hour and avoid sitting still for long periods. Even light exercise will help keep you warm. When you do sit down, put your feet up as it’s coldest nearest the ground.
Winter is a magical time of year.
Enjoy it and stay warm!
Be First to Comment