Fish oil benefits? You bet!
Fish oil health benefits are important and wide-ranging. Proven by numerous clinical studies, fish oil benefits range from brain health to heart health to pregnancy health.
Fish oil health benefits come primarily from the two Omega 3 essential fatty acids in fish oil — DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and to a lesser extent EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid).
While plant sources such as flax seed will provide the body with Omega 3 oil, the body must convert it into DHA and EFA, and that conversion can be difficult for some people or for elderly people. However, fish oil provides the body with DHA and EPA in a natural form that can easily be assimilated.
The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends eating 1–2 portions of fish per week. This is because the omega-3 fatty acids in fish provide many health benefits, including protection against a number of diseases.
However, if you don’t eat 1–2 servings of fish per week, fish oil supplements can help you get enough omega-3s. Around 30% of fish oil is made up of omega-3s, while the remaining 70% is made up of other fats.
Here are 7 major fish oil benefits:
1. Lowers blood triglycerides – high levels of triglycerides are known to be a risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
2. Helps reduce likelihood of blood clots – fish oil benefits include the prevention of blood platelets from sticking together and forming blood clots.
3. Lowers mild high blood pressure – fish oil helps lower blood pressure when it is due to high cholesterol and hardening of the arteries.
4. Reduces inflammation from rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis and gout – fish oil health benefits come from the DHA and EPA that reduce the amount of inflammation-causing substances.
5. Lowers risk of developing Alzheimer’s Disease – studies have found that fish oil seems to help protect the nervous system.
6. Reduces depression rates – the lack of DHA has been linked to higher incidence rates of depression.
7. Improves immune system function – fish oil benefits and studies have linked lowered risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer to the consumption of fish oil.
And there are more fish oil benefits! From lowered risk of age related macular degeneration to reducing the risk of osteoporosis to benefits for Type II diabetics, fish oil health benefits are truly spectacular.
However, there are some precautions that you should be aware of when considering your sources for fish oils. Some fish oils can contain:
- Contaminants such as PCB’s and heavy metals like mercury
- Additional additives to keep the fish oil from becoming rancid during the transporting and encapulating process
- Low DHA levels
Inferior fish oil products do exist, while at the same time fish oils are available that are harvested from pristine ocean waters. Be sure the fish oils you consume to enjoy fish oil health benefits contain high levels of DHA and EPA and are free from the heavy metals. Read as much as you can about even more fish oil benefits that provide an amazing array of health benefits.
Be First to Comment