Food poisoning is caused by eating organisms or toxins present in food or drinks. Staphylococcus or E. coli is one of the commonest bacteria which results in food poisoning. Due to improper handling, this kind of a contamination happens. Even though it is a very common condition it can get worse depending on the degree of contamination. Some common foods which can cause food poisoning if proper care is not taken are raw poultry, unpasteurized milk, red meat, poisonous mushrooms, pesticides on fruits and vegetables, egg and raw egg products, raw meat and water.
The symptoms are so mild that we hardly register it in our minds. The symptoms develop within one hour or it may show up within 12-48 hours. It lasts for more than two days but, depending on its seriousness it may take around a week to recover.
You may have bouts of vomiting, abdominal cramps and pain, diarrhea and similar other pains. If it is very serious you may have chills and fever, bloody stools, dehydration, muscle aches and weakness. In rare cases it may lead to brain damage causing paralysis or death.
Pesticide, chemicals, heavy metals, parasites, fungi, viruses and bacteria are some of the common causes for food poisoning. Bacteria are a major culprit, due to their capacity to multiply. To prevent the contamination we should have a clean kitchen including the storage and vessels, handle raw and cooked food with proper precautions, cook food to the maximum temperature to avoid presence of bacteria and heat canned foods before tasting. You can stop this outbreak either by minimizing the headcount of bacteria, preventing their growth, killing bacteria with proper measures of cooking.
Home Remedies for Food Poisoning
- Avoid eating when suffering with food poisoning
- Drink good amount of fluids except milk products, caffeine and carbonated products
- Avoid sugary fluids and drink more of electrolyte
- Eat plain bread, as it soaks the poison to provide relief
- Have 1/4 cup of activated charcoal powder with a glass of water to subside the symptoms. If it doesn’t work within the first half-hour continue till you get complete relief.
- Consume garlic as it detoxifies the intestine and destroys the bacteria in lower digestive tract.
- After your meals you can drink a cup of ginger tea for good digestion, heartburn and nausea.
- Mix three drops of garlic oil in 1/2 cup soya oil. Rub this mixture after your meals on the stomach to provide relief.
- Mix 3-4 drops of mint essence in water and drink it every hour. You can also drink jaljeera (a mixture of asafetida, cumin, salt and water) 2-3 times a day.
- Make a mixture by mixing one tablespoon lemon juice or cider vinegar in a cup of hot water. Drink it before your meals to prevent any acidic problems.