We are in the grip of an omega 3 fish oil wave, every day more studies are published to show just how important this nutrient is to us. Last week it was children with concentration problems this week it is children with autism.
Fish oil primarily contains two types of omega-3 fatty acids — eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which are well known for their heart health and skin benefits and even brain support.
Here are some very good reasons why you should consider supplementing your diet with a high quality EPA fish oil supplement.
1. Most of the modern western diets contain way too much omega 6 in the form of breads and pasta, by supplementing your diet with an omega 3 fish oil supplement it will help to correct this imbalance of omega 6 to omega 3.
2. High grade omega 3 EPA fish oil has been shown to be very beneficial in the fight against depression. If your brain becomes clogged up with Tran’s fatty acids (bad fats) it is possible that the whole messaging system within your brain could become sluggish, should this happen then onset of depression may occur.
3. In one recent study performed, people who supplemented there diet with EPA fish oil lost more weight than a placebo controlled group. This is thought to be due the cells releasing the bad fats, and the body then burning them as fuel.
4. High grade EPA fish oil helps with concentration and the ability to think clearly by aiding the passage of signals within the tiny gaps of the brain called synapses.
5. Omega 3 is an essential fatty acid and cannot be produced by the body. It is called an essential fatty acid because it is Essential for correct body balance and function of most vital organs and hormones.
6. Omega 3 high grade EPA fish oil has blood thinning properties similar to aspirin, this is very beneficial for people who are at risk from a heart attack. And other similar cardiac problems. Those with arrhythmia problems and those taking blood thinning medication should consult their GP.
7. The quality of your skin, hair and nails depends on your diet being rich in all the correct essential fatty acids, especially omega 3. The body needs these essential nutrients for optimal grow and rejuvenation.
8. The omega 3 we used to obtain from milk and meat has now been reduced drastically because the cows are mainly grain fed instead of grass fed, this has reduced the omega content in meat and milk to a very low level.
9. During pregnancy the unborn baby takes all the nutrients from the mother, this includes the omega 3 nutrient DHA. If after the birth of the child these correct nutrients are not replaced then the onset of post natal depression could occur.
10. Western diets can be lazy and full of the wrong kind of fats i.e. trans fats. Therefore we are not giving our bodies the correct balance of omega 3 essential fatty acids. The body will then start to show signs of this imbalance:
- Dry eyes
- Dry skin
- Chicken skin on the back of upper arms
- Brittle nails
- Frequent infections
- Poor wound healing
- Low moods
- Mood swings
- Fortified foods (ex. some brands of eggs and orange juice)
- Fish oil supplements
- Prescription fish oil.
Start supplementing today, your body and mind will thank you!