Each year millions of dollars are spent on vitamin pills in the United States. Over two-thirds buy them because their doctors have recommended that they do. Others do so independently.
Those who do so independently either take one pill each day and expect that it will deliver all the vitamins that are needed for the whole day or take an arsenal of pills, and powders.
No two people have the same nutrient requirements. I may need a bit more Vitamin C, or you may need a bit more Protein than I do. Not only are we different genetically, but our lifestyles affect our nutrient needs.
Physical disabilities and illnesses also affect the amount of supplements we need to ingest on a daily basis. Another factor is the amount of medications you take.
What risk is involved when we take too much of one kind of vitamin supplement??
- Taking vitamins A and D alone can cause an overdose , which has serious ill effects.
- Powdered bone is a poor source of Calcium as it has been found to have large amounts of lead.
- Kelp tablets have been found to contain raised levels of arsenic.
- Vitamins C and E in large doses are toxic in some people.
Jane is a middle-age woman who is concerned about bone loss. She decides to take a Calcium supplement by its self. The problem here is that calcium needs Vitamin D to help the absorption of Calcium. Her body will eliminate the unwanted Calcium, therefore she is receiving no benefit from the calcium. The money she has spent on the Calcium has been wasted.
It is vital that when you begin to take a vitamin, mineral and other supplements that you take a multivitamin which has the balanced nutrients that we require.
Take only the recommended dosage.
Absorption is the key to a successful vitamin supplement regime. The truth is our bodies will regulate how many nutrients we need each day.
How do we know if we need a vitamin, mineral, or other supplement?
- You eat irregularly for long periods of time.
- You eat a large amount of fast foods and prepared foods.
- Your exercise regime warrants the need for more nutrients.
- Your doctor has recommended that you do so.
- You consume less than 1500 calories each day.
The fact remains that the best way to maintain a healthy body and mind is to have a balanced source of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. The main source should be through our daily consumption of foods. But as our lives move at a faster pace it is necessary to take steps that will help us ensure we are receiving the nutrients we require daily. It is important to find the balance between nutrition through food and nutrition through a multi-vitamin supplement.
Be First to Comment