Aromatherapy is the practice of using essential oils to maintain health and well being. Chamomile oil is one of the commonly used essential oils in aromatherapy. It has relaxing and sedative benefits and smells of fruity apple and straw. It is prepared through steam distillation of the flower.
Benefits of using chamomile oil
Mental – Calms the mind and eases fear, anxiety, anger, worries and tension during times of physical and emotional stress. Brings peace and patience and enhances overall feelings of calmness and relaxation. Chamomile herb, taken in the form of tea, helps in treating insomnia.
Physical – Provides a nervine action, relieving pain associated with the nerves such as neuralgia, headaches, toothache, and earache. A gentle relaxant for menopause and menstrual cramps and pains. Chamomile is a good remedy for gastrointestinal problems. More physical benefits include:
- digestive upset, such as indigestion, nausea, or gas.
- useful for genito-urinary tract problems.
- anxiety relief.
- anti-inflammation and pain relief for conditions like back pain, neuralgia, or arthritis.
- promoting sleep
- mild effect on children facing teething problems and earache.
Skin – Chamomile is also used in treating skin problems, providing soothing calming and cleansing action — useful for:
- inflamed wounds
- eczema, rashes, wounds, and hypersensitive skin problems.
Also used for dry, itchy skin, puffiness and allegeric conditions in general. Reportedly smoothens out broken capillaries, blisters — improving elasticity and tissue strength. It can also be used to lighten fair hair.
Using Chamomile oil
• For bath or massage, add 10 drops to a warm bath for relaxation. Diluted with a carrier oil, it can be massaged in, and used as a compress for headaches.
• It is also an excellent household disinfectant.
• A calming massage of Roman Chamomile diluted with a carrier oil relaxes sore overworked muscles or inflamed joints.
• Diffuse fragrant Roman Chamomile in a Crystal Diffuser to ease headaches and nervous tension.
Whatever you may use it for, you will not be disappointed in this beautiful and beneficial plant.