Hallowe’en s is a fun time of year, adult and children a like. But finding healthy options on Halloween, can be hard.
But to add a fun, Hallowe’en snack to your children’s dinner or your Halloween party — can be easy!
Why not try some Halloween Stuffed Peppers? These peppers are easy to make and fit into many dietary needs. Such as gluten free, low card and vegetarian/vegan.
Note: If you’d like to prep the peppers and then prepare the stuffing and stuff the peppers 24 hours in advance for the night before that will work! Simply pop in the oven the day of and dinner is served.
Here is what you will need:
- 4 large orange bell peppers
- 1 cup cooked rice white or brown
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or other healthy cooking oil, plus additional for coating sheet pan.
- 1 pound lean ground beef ground turkey, or ground chicken (you can also remove this option to make it vegetarian)
- 1 medium yellow onion diced small
- 8 ounces mushrooms chopped (optional)
- 2 cups roasted red pepper sauce homemade or store-bought
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until mushrooms have softened and reduced in size. Increase heat to medium high. Add ground meat and spices to pan and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until no pink remains.
- Drain excess grease from pan, reduce heat to medium low, then add red pepper pasta sauce and cooked rice. Stir to combine and cook for 2-3 more minutes, or until mixture is heated through
- Prior to serving, fill each pepper with approximately 1 cup of mixture, over filling each pepper slightly. Place a top onto each stuffed pepper and serve with a big jack-o-lantern smile!ENJOY 🙂